Martin Brothers Stoneware Watch Stand, Walter Edward Willy, 1876
of lectern form, carved, pierced and incised with foliate motifs, monogram AEC and inscribed ‘GOD IS LOVE’, coloured in shades of blue and brown
height 4.4" — 11.3 cm.
inscribed EWilly / London / July 1876, incised RW MARTIN / LONDON
minor base chip
Walter Edward Willy worked for the Martin Brothers at Pomona House, following his release from Wandsworth Gaol in 1873, until his eyesight began to fail and he was finally let go in 1899
Haslam, Malcolm, The Martin Brothers Potters, p.38 and p.109-110